tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat scalability setting - need help please
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 09:55:43 GMT
On 08/04/2010 10:00, Cin Lung wrote:
> Dear All Dev
>
> Sorry if repost, I got an error from the mailing list server.
> Can anyone help me with my problem? I have two biggest problems as follow:
 >
> 1. Multi Connection Problem:
> I have a web application that service to multiple users. Everytime the users
> accessing the server reach 100 users at the same time, the tomcat would
> slows down.

What does your app do?
What tasks is it performing?
Does it use a database?

> I tried to set -xmx1024 and -xms1024, but it did not have any
> impact at all.

Where did you apply those settings?

Is Tomcat installed as a service?

> I tried to set the memory cache to 2048 and above, but the tomcat won't
> start.

Where did you apply that setting?

> My current server is running AMD Athlon 64 3000+ with 8GB memory running
> windows server 2003 SP1.

Is it running 64bit Windows?

> I am running tomcat 6 for the app server.

Exactly which version of Tomcat 6.0.NN?

> Before upgrading to Windows 2003 SP1 I also had the same problem. I thought
> by upgrading would make a difference, but it didn't.

What makes you think Tomcat and not your application is the source of
your problem?

If upgrading the server doesn't make a difference, perhaps this points
to something that isn't affected by the processing power of the server
as the source of the problem.

> Is there any way to improve tomcat's performance?

It is possible to tune Tomcat, but in the vast majority of cases the
application is the problem.  Tomcat is used in many high-load situations
with great success.

> Will there be any use of Java NIO Framework in tomcat?

There is the NIO Connector.  It's not guaranteed to make a difference as
the usual source of the problem is in the application.

> I mean apache has Mina, why not combine with tomcat?

Assuming there's anything wrong with Tomcat, which many people here
would disagree with.

> 2. User cancellation problem
> Another thing that really bug me is that user would click on a web
> application that perform a very extensive task. The user was not patient and
> just close the browser accessing the app. This did not make that particular
> job stop. In fact the job is still running until finish and then it got no
> place to return the result since the user closed the browser. As the result,
> my server is working really hard and takes up all the resources available,
> and causes other users to lag.
>
> Is there any way to make that particular user task/thread stop working?

Interrupt it?