tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Pid <...@pidster.com>
Subject Re: RabbitMQ-based vcloud session clustering
Date Tue, 06 Apr 2010 08:42:16 GMT
On 05/04/2010 22:53, Jon Brisbin wrote:
> Not sure there's anyone besides me on both these lists, but I'm x-posting just to save
time.

> I'm currently working on setting up a RabbitMQ-based session cluster using my own session
manager and store. I had to write my own because I couldn't find anything out there that uses
JMS or RabbitMQ to do session clustering (which actually surprised me a little) that had the
virtual cloud awareness I need. Everything I've read about Tomcat clustering uses the Apache
Tribes replication, which doesn't work for me under even moderate load testing (maybe I'm
just not doing right...I don't know) or the centralized JDBCStore, which introduces a single
point of failure.

> The basic idea here is to use RabbitMQ as the session clustering back-end and have a
user's session available to any server currently subscribed to the clustering queue with no
sticky sessions at all. This (cross your fingers) gives me a very, very scalable clustering
architecture (my RabbitMQ servers are load-balanced and clustered using VMware vms so I can
add capacity at will) that doesn't suffer from the single point of failure of a JDBCStore
or the multicast limitations of Apache Tribes. Sessions are also shared across points of responsibility,
too, as a single session object can be passed around from code running inside a webapp to
code in a command-line client. I wanted my session handling to be a first-class virtual cloud
citizen, rather than feel like I'm shoe-horning existing code into what I want to do.

> I'm almost finished with the heavy lifting. I should have a functioning drop-in manager
and store this week, which I'll put on my github account. What I'd like to know is if there's
any interest in the community for something like this? If there's no interest, I won't bother
writing documentation and what-not.

> Does this sound like it would interest any other Tomcat/RabbitMQ users?

I'm not currently using RabbitMQ (nor do I have any particular plans to)
but I am interested in non-multicast clustering solutions, so keep me/us
posted, please.