tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: RemoteHostValve for infinite domains?
Date Thu, 01 Apr 2010 08:57:09 GMT
Dean Hiller wrote:
> I added this(I want it to use my requirements.war file for any requests to
> xxxx.dev.premonitionx.com where xxxx is infinite combinations all of which
> point to one single ip of course.  I have another Host for
> xxxx.demo.premonitionx.com as well with infinite combinations again.
>
> This does not seem to be working though...
>
>       <Host name="dev.premonitionx.com"  appBase="zrequirements"
>             unpackWARs="true" autoDeploy="true"
>             xmlValidation="false" xmlNamespaceAware="false">
>         <Valve className="org.apache.catalina.valves.RemoteHostValve"
>                allow=".*\.dev\.premonitionx\.com"/>
>       </Host>
>
> Do I have this wrong?  How do I get this to work?  Does the name need to
> match the allow or something?

It looks like you are confusing "to" and "from".
The above would only allow access *to* your server *from* remote clients
whose IP address, when resolved by a reverse DNS lookup done by your
server, matches a hostname like ".*\.dev\.premonitionx\.com".
In other words, as done above, it is the *clients* which are expected to
be in the domain ".dev.premonitionx.com".

Re-read http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/virtual-hosting-howto.html