tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Bill Barker" <billwbar...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: Tomcat threads
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 05:47:16 GMT

"Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote in message
news:99C8B2929B39C24493377AC7A121E21F96CB817CAB@USEA-EXCH8.na.uis.unisys.com...
>> From: Bill Barker [mailto:billwbarker@verizon.net]
>> Subject: Re: Tomcat threads
>>
>> basically the request is handed off to another thread and the
>> original one returns to the pool.  This also allows for two-way
>> communication instead of relying on polling.
>
> What's required on the client end?  You can't simply push HTML or other
> content to a browser.  Is a specialized (or at least scripted) client
> required?

Mostly useful for custom clients channeling under HTTP, but you could
probably write a scripted client as well that works with it (haven't tried).
The examples in Tomcat 7 are mostly server-push (e.g. fake stock ticker,
chat).  These are done by not completing the connection, and just pumping
more data to a chunked response (so you get the spinning wheel the entire
time the apps is running).   They work in most browsers (only most, because
I've only tested them in IE and FireFox).

But as I said before, would probably help the OP, assuming that traffic
isn't too great.