tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kedzior Wojciech <Wojciech.Kedz...@gemalto.com>
Subject remote debug with tomcat 3.3.2
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 07:10:46 GMT
Hello,

I'm having a problem with setting up a remote debug session to my Tomcat 3.3.2 Final.  I am
copying some classes I developed into the working directory of an application deployed on
tomcat.  I can connect to the remote debug port from eclipse but the debugger will not stop
on any break points what so ever.  Here is my environment:

I specify the following system variables:

JPDA_ADDRESS=8000
JPDA_TRANSPORT=dt_socket

I start my Tomcat with the jpda start parameters.

While tailing the logs I can see the following line:

Listening for transport dt_socket at address: 8000

At this point I can connect to the remote debug port from Eclipse.  I can see all the treads
running within Tomcat, but my debug will not stop on any breakpoints.  Even though the class
I am trying to debug was created by me in Eclipse and I have the correct source.

The classes were compiled using Java 1.5.0_09.  Tomcat also uses the same version of Java.

The tomcat is deployed on Linux RedHat 5.
Eclipse version is 3.5.1

The complied classes have a reference to the .java file.

To prove that the problem occurs with the entire deployment I obtained the sources for the
deployed application, linked them in my eclipse and set some debug points.  I know the flow
goes through the line with break points because I used some dirty System.err output to prove
this.

One thing that may be a hint is that the Tomcat startup log shows the following line:

EmbededTomcat: Startup time 45

The thing to note here is that I don't have control over the actual war file deployed in tomcat.
 I simply get the war from a different department in the company, deploy it, and write some
classes that the deployed application will pick up and use.

I have studied this Embedded Tomcat a little bit and I don't know if this could be a problem.

Has someone experienced anything like this before? If so, I would appreciate it very much
if you could shed some (even the dimmest) light onto this.

Thanks,

Wojtek Kedzior