tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: how to add subdomains dynamically, virtual hosts config
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:44:58 GMT
> From: Logan Scott [mailto:logan@sqlist.com]
> Subject: how to add subdomains dynamically, virtual hosts config
>
> tomcat 6.0

Tomcat 6.0.?

> apache 2.0.55

That's getting a bit long in the tooth...

> jk connector

Version?

> Now I would like to add the ability to issue subdomains in large
> numbers, for any of the domains on my server.

Can't answer it for httpd, but for Tomcat, use the host-manager webapp included in the Tomcat
distribution (not the manager webapp).  This will let you create and remove virtual hosts
on the fly; look at the servlet-mapping in its WEB-INF/web.xml for usage.  Note that this
does not persist the changes, so you'll have to take care of that by some other means.

You will, of course, also need to create DNS entries as needed (not a Tomcat issue).

 - Chuck