tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat generate empty 0 kb logs
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 15:59:43 GMT
> From: Miriam esteve [mailto:miesvesakai@gmail.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat generate empty 0 kb logs
>
> How can the tomcat start with: start tomcat5, and I can access to my
> web application and with startup.sh don't start???

The Windows start command initiates a service; the .bat scripts run Tomcat as a regular process.
 As you've discovered, your heap settings were very different for the two environments.

> I'm on Windows Vista

32- or 64-bit?

> one in the enviorement variables:
> -server -XX:+UseParallelGC -Xmx876m -XX:MaxPermSize=2160m

As you determined, the above MaxPermSize is outrageous.  Also, the -Xmx setting doesn't match
what you have set for the service execution.

> and the other ones in the GUI of tomcat5w:
> -Djava.util.logging.config.file=E:\opt\tomcat\conf\logging.properties

Please post the above file to the list.

> (One question about that,are these the same JAVA_OPTS??)

JAVA_OPTS is used when running Tomcat via the scripts, the tomcat5w.exe settings when running
as a service.  They do not have to match, but it's usually better to keep them in sync to
eliminate confusion when switching between the two execution mechanisms.

> And I don't have CATALINA_OPTS

CATALINA_OPTS applies only to Tomcat itself when run from the scripts, whereas JAVA_OPTS applies
to both Tomcat and the shutdown program; the latter can run quite happily with the default
heap and other settings.

 - Chuck