tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: getServerName returns 'localhost'
Date Wed, 03 Mar 2010 14:53:34 GMT
> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
> Subject: Re: getServerName returns 'localhost'
>
> public java.lang.String getServerName()
>      Returns the host name of the server to which the request was sent.
> It is the value of the part before ":" in the Host header value, if
> any, or the resolved server name, or the server IP address.
>      Returns:
>          a String containing the name of the server
>
> That does not seem to work in his case.
>
> Does it only work when the <Host> or <Alias> tags with the
> corresponding names are set ?

The code shows that the HOST header is being used by getServerName().  Testing with the RequestDumperFilter
enabled in examples/WEB-INF/web.xml shows that it works as documented; here's a portion of
the output from Tomcat running on my desktop with the default <Host> name of localhost:
        serverName=usrv-caldarcr.na.uis.unisys.com
        serverPort=8080

It appears the OP has something else going on that's interfering with the target IP address.
 (Internal routing, perhaps?)

 - Chuck