tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Kees Jan Koster <>
Subject Re: Stopping Catalina From MBean Server
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 11:56:20 GMT
Dear Gerukan,

> Is anybody try to stop the catalina engine from jconsole. I have been using
> Tomcat 6.0.20, and trying to stop Catalina from jconsole. I click
> "Catalina/Service/Catalina/Operations/stop" on the MBean view. INFO messages
> are written to the console related with stopping operation like below;
> INFO : Stopping service CATALINA
> INFO : Stopping Coyote HTTP/1.1 on http-8080
> But never shut downs cleanly and waits there. If you look at the MBean view
> now, some of them are removed.

A while back I wrote a short howto on diagnosing Tomcat servers that hang on shutdown. Perhaps
you find it useful? In short: make a thread
dump and hunt down the threads that should have died, but have not.
Kees Jan

The secret of success lies in the stability of the goal. -- Benjamin Disraeli

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message