tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mats Eklund <mats.ekl...@yahoo.com>
Subject RE: Memory settings
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:42:28 GMT
Thanks, I'm trying the JConsole, but I'm not sure I'm connecting to the relevant process? There
are two local processes that I can connect to, one seems to be the JConsole itself, then other
has no name. If I stop the Tomcat service, there are still the same to processes that I can
connect to!?

--- On Tue, 3/9/10, Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com> wrote:

From: Caldarale, Charles R <Chuck.Caldarale@unisys.com>
Subject: RE: Memory settings
To: "Tomcat Users List" <users@tomcat.apache.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 9, 2010, 10:34 PM

> From: Mats Eklund [mailto:mats.eklund@yahoo.com]
> Subject: Re: Memory settings
>
> In the Java tab I have the Java Options field with parameters such as
> "-Dcatalina.home...". So I just add another few lines to it with the "-
> Xms..." parameters?

The -Xmx and -Xms settings should be specified in the extra memory pool boxes provided; the
others go in the regular options box.  Keep the initial and maximum memory pool sizes the
same to avoid heap thrashing.

> And finally, when nothing is specified here, what are the defaults?

Depends on the JVM version, the mode of the JVM, and the platform you're running on.  Easiest
just to crank up JConsole and take a look.

 - Chuck