tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: jvm exits without trace
Date Sat, 27 Mar 2010 13:05:05 GMT
Peter Crowther wrote:
> On 27 March 2010 00:22, David Kerber <dckerber@verizon.net> wrote:
>

>> BTW, after looking back at my development notes, the jdbc-odbc bridges,
>> while a pain to set up, have better performance than the type 4 drivers that
>> Sybase also offers.
>>
>> That's frightening, given the extra layers of code for the ODBC bridge.  If
>>
> I were Sybase, I'd be ashamed of my code quality - or trying to implement
> the missing features that cause your application to behave better with the
> ODBC bridge.

Except that with the bridge, much of the work can be done in highly
optimized C code (there's a separate driver for each platform), rather
than in java, which probably makes up for the extra layer.  In addtion,
they say that ODBC is a native interface for SQLAnywhere, so there are
fewer layers than most ODBC implementations would have.