tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: jvm exits without trace
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:43:30 GMT
>> From: Christopher Schultz [mailto:chris@christopherschultz.net]
>> Subject: Re: jvm exits without trace
>>
>> Yikes: whenever I see jdbcodbc I cringe!
>
> As everyone should.
>
>> Looks like whatever ntdll.dll is. That doesn't sound like a
>> JDBC driver cause to me.
>
> It's not the JDBC driver per se, but the JDBC driver called it.  You pretty much have
to go through ntldll.dll on all calls into the Windows kernel.

>> The stack trace shows all Java code except the call into ntdll.dll.
>
> Java code can't call ntldll.dll directly - that has to be done from some other native
code.

>> Looks like you've broken a kernel call, though :)
>
> Just gave it a VA that's not valid for the process to access, so the Windows kernel blew
up the thread with an access violation - as it should.

> This appears to be completely unrelated to the previously discussed JVM terminations.

Ok, I'll accept that.  I really didn't know, but wanted a second pair of
eyes to look at it.  I thought there was a chance it might be related
because the failure was nearly (though not completely) silent.

Thanks for the comments!