tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David kerber <dcker...@verizon.net>
Subject Re: jvm exits without trace
Date Fri, 26 Mar 2010 19:32:57 GMT

> David,
>
> On 3/26/2010 1:40 PM, David kerber wrote:
>> It looks like we may have had one of these this AM, but under somewhat
>> different conditions:  Windows server 2008, JVM 1.6.0_17 64-bit Server
>> VM, TC 5.5.28.  No tracks in any of the TC logs, and the Windows event
>> viewer had the singularly un-useful "The Tomcat5 service terminated
>> unexpectedly.  It has done this 1 time(s)."
>>
>> I did find this jvm error log, though, which appears to point to my jdbc
>> driver:
>
> Yikes: whenever I see jdbcodbc I cringe!

What alternative is there, without going to a java database?  This is
making calls to a database server elsewhere on the network, not
something embedded in the app.

>> #  EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION (0xc0000005) at pc=0x00000000775c8926,
>> pid=4860, tid=4272
>
> [snip]
>
>> #
>> # JRE version: 6.0_17-b04
>> # Java VM: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (14.3-b01 mixed mode
>> windows-amd64 )
>> # Problematic frame:
>> # C  [ntdll.dll+0x48926]
>
> Looks like whatever ntdll.dll is. That doesn't sound like a JDBC driver
> cause to me.

Other than the fact that it's part of the windows kernel/core, I don't
know either.  My guess was that the jodbc driver was making a bad call
to the kernel.

> The stack trace shows all Java code except the call into ntdll.dll.
> Without knowing what function was being called, you can't really even
> speculate what the problem might be.
>
> Looks like you've broken a kernel call, though :)

Yep