tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Question on Linux Tomcat Apache Server and Port Redirection for a robotics site
Date Mon, 15 Mar 2010 12:53:12 GMT
Cyrille Le Clerc wrote:

> #4 I slightly disagree with André on asking Tomcat to listen on port
> 80 ; I am very reluctant to this approach as it requires to run the
> JVM as root ;

No, it does not, if you run the JVM under jsvc (commons-daemon).
This is how most Linux packages nowadays set it up by default.

But of course, you cannot run 2 servers at the same time listening on
the same port. So if you want to have Tomcat handle port 80, then you
cannot have Apache httpd listening to that same port at the same time.