tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Applying a servlet filter to a static resource
Date Thu, 11 Mar 2010 20:36:11 GMT
André Warnier wrote:

> I have not tested the following, and it is not based on any certain
> knowledge based on the HTTP RFCs, so treat with caution, but you could
> try a cheap trick :
> In the link to that "document" in the html page, add a dummy query
> string, like :
> instead of
> http://servername/webappname/js/config/my.json
> try
> http://servername/webappname/js/config/my.json?a=my.json
>
> The presence of the query string /might/ trick the browser in thinking
> that this is not a static page, and force it to re-request it from the
> server.

By the way, forget the above, it does not work, or only partially.
The browser does not serve it from its cache the second time, but the
server sends a 304 anyway.
(I tried with http://tomcat.apache.org)

What I wrote about the browser plugin and looking at the
request/response header sequence is still true however, and is very
instructive.