tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: How do I set up and run Tomcat 5.5.23 on Cetos5.3
Date Wed, 10 Mar 2010 21:52:16 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: testwreq wreq [mailto:testwreq@gmail.com]
>> Subject: Re: How do I set up and run Tomcat 5.5.23 on Cetos5.3
>>
>> 1/I already have apache running on port 80. If I start the tomcat
>> service, I think it will probably start on port 80 as well.
>
> The standard Tomcat downloads are configured to use port 8080 by default; what your version
has isn't known, so you'll have to look in Tomcat's conf/server.xml file.

>> 2/ I have setup the following environment variables
>> JAVA_HOME=/usr/lib/jvm/java
>
> Good.
>
>> CATALINA_HOME = /usr/share/tomcat5
>
> You probably don't need that; the standard Tomcat startup scripts determine what the
value should be.  However, since you're not using a standard Tomcat, it's hard to tell.

>> PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME/bin
>
> Good.
>
>> CLASSPATH=.:$JAVA_HOME/jre/lib:$JAVA_HOME/lib:$JAVA_HOME/lib/tools.jar
>
> Get rid of CLASSPATH; never, never, never use the CLASSPATH environment variable (for
any Java application).

>> 4/ Is there anything else that should be done to setup tomcat?
>
> Go through the server.xml file and see if there's anything you need to change.  Read
the Tomcat docs for more information.

And we're back to the "standard Tomcat vs packaged Tomcat" discussion..

Testwreq,

The "standard Tomcat" is the one which you get and download from
http://tomcat.apache.org.
That is the current version, and the one everyone here knows and loves,
because for that one, everyone knows where the files are, what the
standard settings are, and so on.
But is not a "package" that fits with the "package manager" software of
any particular Unix/Linux version.

And then there are many "pre-packaged Tomcats", which vary depending on
which Unix/Linux type or distribution they are made for, and by whom,
from which (generally older) version of the standard Tomcat.
For reasons mostly good but sometimes bad, these packages tend to vary
from the original and between them, as to which locations they install
the files in, which links to what they also set up, which settings they
set by default, which ports they use, under which user they are started,
how they are started, etc..

Unfortunately, the people here do not know all these versions, so our
capacity to help is limited, except to provide general principles and
direct you to the standard documentation.

So if you are having problems with a particular packaged version of
Tomcat (like you are using), the best place to ask for help first is
probably the help desk or help list of your particular Unix/Linux version.
Then once this packaged Tomcat is running, if you are having problem
/using/ it, maybe we can help better.