tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Memory settings
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 22:17:41 GMT
Mats Eklund wrote:
> Thanks a lot!
>
> In the Java tab I have the Java Options field with parameters such as "-Dcatalina.home...".
So I just add another few lines to it with the "-Xms..." parameters?

Basically, yes. But see below.

> There are a few fields below that field called: initial memory pool, maximum memory pool,
thread stack size. Should I maybe use these fields instead?

I believe you should leave "thread stack size" alone.
But the "memory pool" parameters may be the same as the -Xms/-Xmx
settings.  Really, I just don't know, I just suspect. Maybe someone else
can confirm.

> And finally, when nothing is specified here, what are the defaults? I have tried to find
out by looking into some log files but havent found anything.

You should browse the pages I mentioned below to make sure. It's in
there somewhere (and these documents are very informative).
I think I remember that the default varies according to the platform,
and according to whether the JVM is started in "server" or "client" mode
(if that still makes a difference with the 1.6 JVM). And I also think
that it is either 64 or 128 MB. Anyway, 256 MB is higher than the default.

allowing you, in one of the tabs, to set the JVM options used to run Java, which runs Tomcat.
> Use the options "-Xms256m -Xmx256m" for example to set the size of the Heap at start
to 256 MB (-Xms) and maximum size 256 MB (-Xmx).
> Setting both to the same value is a bit more efficient, because it avoids the JVM having
to keep track and resize this dynamically.