tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Installation differences between 6.0.24 and 5.5.28
Date Tue, 09 Mar 2010 08:16:41 GMT
David Kerber wrote:
> It turns out that the shared vs lib issue doesn't matter (at least for
> my very simple case), and SOME of the config files can be used in both
> places, but others cannot.  I didn't check all of the files in conf, but
> I did check server.xml, context.xml and web.xml, and found that their
> contents will work with both server versions (again, at least for my
> simple case) .  However, when I started looking at some of the other
> files in conf, I found major differences between the two versions.  So I
> copied all the various files from the conf folder under 6.0.24 into the
> conf folder in my catalina_base tree, and it immediately started working.

I just want to point out this other thread, and Chuck's last answer in it.

Best Practices for Deployment with separate Context XML file

Basically, if one of your hidden purposes was to investigate whether a
convenient tactic for the migration from 5.5 to 6.0 would be to set up
tomcat 6.0 so that, when tomcat 5.5 is switched off and tomcat 6.0
switched on, things (like your webapps located below catalina_base)
would just "continue working" smoothly, the recommendation is still
"don't".
Even if you have now managed to make this work in your simple test case,
there is no guarantee that somewhere down the line something else might
not bite you.
The basic point made indirectly by the experts, is that tomcat 5.5 and
tomcat 6.0 were not developed in a way to make this kind of
"cooperation" or upgrade possible.  They are two independent versions,
and there may be things that look the same, and are in the same place in
both, but are incompatible in some devious way, and would create some
horrible-to-find bug some time later.

However, the same webapps should work under both.
So maybe re-locating your webapps to be somewhere outside of the Tomcat
directory structure (and "pointed to" by both Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat
6.0), is really what you are looking for.