tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Installation differences between 6.0.24 and 5.5.28
Date Mon, 08 Mar 2010 22:17:40 GMT
David kerber wrote:
> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> From: David kerber [mailto:dckerber@verizon.net]
>>> Subject: Re: Installation differences between 6.0.24 and 5.5.28
>>>
>>> Why not?  Here are the entries on the java tab of tomcat6w:
>>> -Dcatalina.base=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican
>>> -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican\temp
>>>
>>> And tomcat5w has
>>> -Dcatalina.base=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican
>>> -Djava.io.tmpdir=C:\TomcatClients\Pelican\temp
>>
>> So you are sharing things between Tomcat 5.5.28 and 6.0.24, which you
>> said you had no desire to do.  I'd strongly recommend you stop trying
>> to do that.
>
> I don't *want* to do this!!  I'm only doing it as a troubleshooting
> attempt, trying to figure out why I can't get 6.0.x to start.
>
> Obviously there's something different in the configuration requirements,
> but I can't figure out what it is.  That's why I asked for some
> suggestions as to where to find configuration differences between the
> two major versions.  Right now, I'm in the middle of doing a
> line-by-line comparison of the default configuration files that the two
> installations set up.

This is becoming increasingly shrill on all sides.
Let's all calm down a bit.
But I'm afraid it will take some typing..

David,
maybe what you do not understand, is that what you are doing to test
your migration, is at the base of your problem in making it work.

You /are/ using the same catalina_base (and the same physical directory
structure and files below it), for both Tomcat 5.5 and Tomcat 6.0.
And what each one of them expects below his catalina_base is not
identical in the two cases.
I mentioned earlier that Tomcat 5.5, under its catalina_base dir, is
expecting a subdirectory "shared", containing 2 subdirectories "lib" and
"classes" (with some things in them).
Well, guess what ? Tomcat 6.0 does not expect this subdirectory "shared"
under its catalina_base.  But it does expect a subdirectory "lib"
directtly under its catalina_base.
The reason why your Tomcat 5.5 works fine, from your "common"
catalina_base, is that it finds what it wants there.
The reason why Tomcat6 is not happy, is that under that same physical
directory, it does not find what it wants.
And that is because you probably set up this catalina_base directory
according to the pattern of your (previous, existing) tomcat 5.5
catalina_base.

Now, I am saying this with not a lot of knowledge to back this up.

But according to the other people here, there are more differences
between what Tomcat 5.5 has below its catalina_base, and what Tomcat 6.0
has there.  So you should /not/ try to use the same physical directory
as catalina_base for both, because it will get you in a lot of trouble,
independently of the difference "shared" vs "lib".
You should set up a /separate/ catalina_base directory for your Tomcat
6.0, modeled on what you find under the original catalina_home of your
original Tomcat 6.0.
Similarly, you should start the "conf" directory files of your Tomcat
6.0 instance on the base of the original "conf" of Tomcat6.0, and then
make the needed changes in it to accomodate your applications.
You should /not/ try to use the same server.xml (and other conf files)
for both Tomcat5.5 and Tomcat 6.0.