tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Aryeh M. Friedman" <aryeh.fried...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: unified doXXX()
Date Tue, 02 Mar 2010 21:04:25 GMT
Christopher Schultz wrote:

> Aryeh,
>
> On 3/2/2010 3:48 PM, Aryeh M. Friedman wrote:
>
>> Christopher Schultz wrote:
>>

>>> Is this a new client, or just a new data format? Mark's suggestion that
>>> you may be using POST without the proper Content-Type would result in
>>> getting null for this parameter (because Tomcat will not parse it for
>>> you). If this is the case, you should either fix the new client to use
>>> the proper Content-Type, or fall-back to reading and parsing the request
>>> body manually when these requirements are not met.
>>>

>> New format same frontend client code which does use the proper content
>> type. (the content type is defined at a lower level then the format and
>> that code has not changed [using firebug on firefox confirms that fact])
>>

> Hmm.
>
> So, POST + application/x-www-form-urlencoded yields a null parameter
> with your new payload?
>
> I know this sounds silly, but we're getting down to the
> grasping-at-straws level, here, so bear with me: have you checked to see
> that your request body is actually in the correct format (that is,
> urlencoded, etc.)? I haven't looked at the Tomcat code, but Tomcat might
> give up if the request body is not parsable.
>
> Have you tried calling request.getInputStream and dumping the request
> body when the parameter is null? That might give you some indication of
> what's happening.

The client does url encode in addition to translating any chars that are
used either by tomcat and/or or app to decode the reaquest (namely = is
translated to ^, comma to #, right/left parens to @ and $ respectivally)
then I use javascripts "escape(string)" method to url encode it.... the
app by default uses post but if I cut and paste the resulting payload
into a GET and pass it to the app it works fine (i.e. the app uses POST
but I do manual testing with GET)