tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Otmar Manuela <ot...@caribmedia.com>
Subject Issues with ROOT.xml in Tomcat 6.0.24
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 14:19:20 GMT
Hi,

I have a tomcat instance of Tomcat 6.0.24 running, but whenever I deploy
my application in the root context, I can only start it once.  If  I
restart, I get a 404 error "The requested resource is unavailable".  I
noticed that if I remove the
<tomcat-instance>/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml and then restart, it
restarts fine, but it adds ROOT.xml back into this directory.

I know I can create a startup script that removes ROOT.xml before
starting the tomcat instance (and I believe I will do this for now), but
I wonder if this is a bug or if there is something I need to configure.
I have a few Tomcat 5.5 instances and one Tomcat 6.0.18 instance running
the same application without having this issue on other servers.  In
fact, I see that on the other servers, the
<tomcat-instance>/conf/Catalina/localhost/ROOT.xml is not even created
when the server starts.   I also have another server running Tomcat
6.0.24 with the same application, but using a context other than ROOT
and this also runs fine, so to me the issue seems to be related to
Tomcat 6.0.24 and using the ROOT context.

Any ideas what could be causing this?

Otmar