tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Propes, Barry L " <barry.l.pro...@citi.com>
Subject RE: DB connection error -Tomcat 6 config
Date Mon, 01 Mar 2010 21:49:56 GMT

(in Tomcat's /lib directory) 2. Remove all unnecessary configuration from >>>>>>your
<Resource> element:
things started.

>>Good luck,
>>- -chris

Ok, I did this - blew away the 6.0.24 collection, and re-started with 6.0.18.

Using the below reference, I can create an adequate connection in a servlet or JSP, hitting
the DB just fine.

If I try to reference the resource reference in the webapps/META-INF/context.xml file,
I get the following error:

(on startup, the console shows)
Mar 1, 2010 3:18:05 PM org.apache.catalina.core.NamingContextListener addResource
WARNING: Failed to register in JMX: javax.naming.NamingException: Could not crea
te resource factory instance [Root exception is java.lang.InstantiationException
: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DataSourceConnectionFactory]

Other error snippets in attempts to reference the res-ref data include:

javax.servlet.ServletException: javax.naming.NamingException: Could not create resource factory
instance [Root exception is java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DataSourceConnectionFactory]
	org.apache.jasper.runtime.PageContextImpl.doHandlePageException(PageContextImpl.java:852)

javax.naming.NamingException: Could not create resource factory instance [Root exception is
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DataSourceConnectionFactory]
	org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:102)
	javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:304)
	org.apache.naming.NamingContext.lookup(NamingContext.java:793)

java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DataSourceConnectionFactory
	java.lang.Class.newInstance0(Class.java:340)
	java.lang.Class.newInstance(Class.java:308)
	org.apache.naming.factory.ResourceFactory.getObjectInstance(ResourceFactory.java:98)
	javax.naming.spi.NamingManager.getObjectInstance(NamingManager.java:304)

Looking at the log showed basically the same:
SEVERE: Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
java.lang.InstantiationException: org.apache.tomcat.dbcp.dbcp.DataSourceConnectionFactory

If I omit the factory reference, TC doesn't seem to like that at all -- didn't really with
the 6.0.24 experiment either.

But I'm open to suggestions if anyone has something I overlooked. FYI, I left the web.xml
file in the webapps folder void of any resource reference.