tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Robin D. Wilson" <rwils...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: How to setup Tomcat Cluster - Help needed
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 13:11:41 GMT
This reference is what we used - it seemed to work fine for us:

	http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/cluster-howto.html

Don't forget to add this part:

	<distributable/>

Into the 'web.xml' file from the ".war" files you want to use clustered sessions.

In our environment, we have 4 ".war" files with various webapps we deploy. Only our 'ROOT.war'
is "clustered" though. So it is the
only ".war" file with the distributable tag in its web.xml.

Also, we changed a few settings in the 'server.xml' file settings, such as:

	1) Changed the "channelSendOptions" setting to '6' instead of '8'...

	2) Increased some of the timeouts (we have a high-volume environment, and 4 clustered tomcats)

	3) Removed the 'autobind' and manually set the IP addresses of the Receiver (it was picking
the
		wrong interface - lo0 (127.0.0.1) instead of 'et0'...)

Lastly, you need to change (at least) the port # for the "McastService" if you are running
multiple clusters on the same network.
(For example, all of our developers have their own "personal" clusters - so each of them uses
a different 'port' for their cluster's
multicast messages - this avoids cross-talk between their cluster and our main environment.
Of course, our production environment is
completely isolated from this - but when you are testing multiple environments, this can be
confusing...)

PS. We made adjustments to the DeltaManager and SessionManager code for some unique session
issues we had - because we are using
Tapestry, and it creates a session if there are any 'form' tags on a page. This meant that
our site was creating a session for every
visitor - which sort of overwhelmed the cluster (all sessions are supposed to be replicated
to all cluster members - right?)... So
our adjustments just keep certain sessions from wasting cluster bandwidth if they are of sufficiently
short duration so as not to
warrant replication. The best way to avoid this is to not create sessions that you don't really
want replicated to all members of
the cluster.

--
Robin D. Wilson