tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat HTTP Connector Threads Hung
Date Wed, 10 Feb 2010 03:45:32 GMT
> From: Anurag Kapur [mailto:anuragkapur@gmail.com]
> Subject: Tomcat HTTP Connector Threads Hung
>
> 1. What does the connectionTimeout attribute in the tomcat http
> connector do?

Exactly what the documentation says:

"The number of milliseconds this Connector will wait, after accepting a connection, for the
request URI line to be presented."

> Does it not terminate the thread if it is still processing the
> request once the timeout expires?

No - it is the *connectionTimeout*; if the client doesn't deliver the URI in that time period,
the connection will be dropped.  If the client does deliver the URI, the servicing thread
is off and running.

> 2. Can some other configuration be added that forces the http connector
> thread to terminate after a certain time interval has elapsed?

No - that's up to the logic of your webapp.

> I know I should investigate why the http connector thread does
> not return a response even in as long as 300s

Yes, you should.  Start with a thread dump and find out why your webapp is sitting still.

> shouldn't there be a settings in tomcat that prevents such application
> bugs from exhausting all tomcat connector threads?

No - there is no mechanism in Java to stop an arbitrary thread without the consent of that
thread.  There's nothing in the servlet spec that provides for such a mechanism, so there's
nothing Tomcat can do.  If a thread of your webapp is off contemplating its navel, it's up
to your webapp to police that behavior.

 - Chuck