tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Apache / mod_proxy / Tomcat
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 22:21:28 GMT
> From: Farid Izem [mailto:farid.izem@gmail.com]
> Subject: Apache / mod_proxy / Tomcat
>
> I have setup an Apache Web Server in front of a Tomcat Web Container.
> Basically, All request are handle by Apache and passed to Tomcat using
> mod_proxy_ajp

If you're passing all requests through to Tomcat, why are you bothering with httpd in front?
 Just trying to make things slower?

> When i take a look at the tomcat manager, i see that a lot of Tomcat
> Thread with the status keepalive from the same source IP address.

Which is as it should be.

> Would it be possible to free the connection from Apache Server to
> Tomcat server ?

Why would you want to do that?  When a request does arrive at httpd to be forwarded to Tomcat
and there are no active connections to Tomcat, one will have to be negotiated, which takes
time.  The idle, maintained connections are part of the basic AJP design philosophy.

> Can anyone help me ?

I don't think you have a problem.

 - Chuck