tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: [Fwd: Re: Parameters disappear from PUTs]
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 20:06:11 GMT
> From: chas@munat.com [mailto:chas@munat.com]
> Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: Parameters disappear from PUTs]
>
> RFC 2616 is quite clear on this topic, IMO.

Maybe not.

> The POST method is used "to request that the origin server accept the
> *entity* enclosed in the request as a new ***subordinate*** of the
> resource identified by the Request-URI in the Request-Line."
>
> In contrast, the PUT method "requests that the enclosed *entity* be
> stored *under the supplied Request-URI*."

Unfortunately, one of the synonyms of "subordinate" is "under", so there's a degree of ambiguity
here.  One could interpret the two clauses as being identical, depending on one's semantic
education.  (I suspect your interpretation does correspond to the authors' intent, but it's
certainly not 100% clear.)

 - Chuck