tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 17:46:04 GMT
> From: Carl [mailto:carl@etrak-plus.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
>
> if I understand it correctly, Tomcat is (mostly) running in
> the heap and should, therefore, not be requiring more memory

Not necessarily.  The real memory used by a Java process can continue to climb until all the
pages assigned to the heap and associated spaces have actually been touched.  That might not
happen for quite some time, especially in PermGen.

> However, that is slowly being eaten away by something.
> I would have expected the usage to flatten out and then
> fluctuate about that number.  This implies a memory
> leak someplace in the system.

Probably not.  As Dan explained, that's normal file caching behavior.

 - Chuck