tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 22:00:26 GMT
> From: Carl [mailto:carl@etrak-plus.com]
> Subject: Re: Tomcat dies suddenly

> I am hoping I can see failure at the point of failure
> with the heap dump options

That won't have any effect on the Linux OOM killer.  If it is the OOM killer taking out Tomcat,
the JVM will not receive any notification - all threads will just be terminated with extreme
prejudice.  There won't be a chance for the heap dump to happen.

>From what you've observed, it sounds like something other than the heap may be eating
up process (and real) memory space.  Have you monitored actual real memory usage of the process
as it's running?  (Can't be done from inside the JVM; you'll need Linux-specific tools for
this.)

 - Chuck