tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Problem on Tomcat 6.0.20
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:23:04 GMT
> From: Richard Sickler [mailto:richard.sickler@avagotech.com]
> Subject: Re: Problem on Tomcat 6.0.20
>
> I removed a file and a directory named WebApplication2, and that
> cleared up that problem.  On to the next undocumented feature!

It's fully documented:

Context elements may be explicitly defined:
    * In individual files (with a ".xml" extension) in the $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
directory. The name of the file (less the .xml extension) will be used as the context path.
Multi-level context paths may be defined using #, e.g. foo#bar.xml for a context path of /foo/bar.
The default web application may be defined by using a file called ROOT.xml.
    * Only if a context file does not exist for the application in the $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/,
in an individual file at /META-INF/context.xml inside the application files. If the web application
is packaged as a WAR then /META-INF/context.xml will be copied to $CATALINA_BASE/conf/[enginename]/[hostname]/
and renamed to match the application's context path. Once this file exists, it will not be
replaced if a new WAR with a newer /META-INF/context.xml is placed in the host's appBase.

 - Chuck