tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Still unable to get a heap dump from Tomcat running on Windows as a service
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 21:19:45 GMT
> From: Laird Nelson [mailto:ljnelson@gmail.com]
> Subject: Still unable to get a heap dump from Tomcat running on Windows
> as a service
>
> I am still unable to get Tomcat to dump heap when it encounters an
> OutOfMemoryError.

You appear to be unique in that regard, since no one else seems to be having that problem.

> I'm using the graphical program that comes up when you select "Monitor
> Tomcat" from the Windows Start Menu.  I assume this is TomcatW.exe?

Not quite; it's tomcat6w.exe (note the digit and no caps).

> I have Tomcat 6.0.20 running as a service under the default
> local user account

What's a "default local user account"?  Try using a real account, possibly one in the administrators
group to see if that makes a difference.

> set to be allowed to interact with the desktop

Not needed.

> I've specified -XX:HeapDumpPath=C:\crap, and -XX:HeapDumpPath=C:/crap
> to no avail.

Try just leaving that parameter out.

> I've set the working path for the Startup and Shutdown tabs
> to C:\crap and C:/crap with no effect.

The Shutdown working path doesn't matter, since that's not normally used.  Try setting the
Startup path to the Tomcat installation directory after reinstalling Tomcat.  The direction
of the slash doesn't seem to matter; I get the .hprof file generated in the designated directory
regardless of which I use.

> I've set memory to a minimum of 512 and a maximum of 1024 MB.

You normally want those to be the same for a server environment to avoid heap thrashing.

> I entered the JVM options one per line.

That is a requirement.

> The tomcat documentation says to enter them separated by either
> a "#" or a ";"

That's for command-line usage, not the GUI.

> Does anyone have any other suggestions to try before giving up on
> Tomcat in favor of either Jetty or (God help me) JBoss?

Sounds like a baby with the bathwater solution...

I would try removing the existing Tomcat service, reinstalling the current (6.0.24) Tomcat
from the .zip download, using the service.bat script to create the service, and only then
try recreating the OOM problem.  Unpack the .zip download into someplace other than C:\Program
Files.  Also try setting the Level on the Logging tab to Debug rather than Error to see if
that shows anything interesting.

 - Chuck