tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Problem on Tomcat 6.0.20
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 03:12:03 GMT
> From: Richard Sickler [mailto:richard.sickler@avagotech.com]
> Subject: Problem on Tomcat 6.0.20
>
> when I copy the war, (WebApplication2.war) to
> c:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\Tomcat 6.0\webapps
> on my Windows Server 2008 machine, and rename it to ROOT.war

Unless Tomcat is stopped, this is not good practice.  You first make then webapp visible to
Tomcat as WebApplication2, then make that disappear and materialize the ROOT webapp.  Better
to do the renaming as part of the copy to avoid confusing the container or make sure Tomcat
is not running.

> Feb 1, 2010 6:33:14 PM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext
> resourcesStart
> SEVERE: Error starting static Resources
> java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Document base
> C:\Program Files\Apache Software Foundation\
> Tomcat 6.0\webapps\WebApplication2 does not exist
> or is not a readable directory

You may well have a WebApplication2.xml file in the conf/Catalina/[host] directory, left over
from a previous deployment attempt.  Check for that and delete it.

 - Chuck