tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Caldarale, Charles R" <Chuck.Caldar...@unisys.com>
Subject RE: Trouble accessing application resources from default web app
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 02:29:36 GMT
> From: Lonnie Lewis [mailto:lonnie.lewis@gmail.com]
> Subject: Trouble accessing application resources from default web app
>
> However I would like it to be my default application so I've edited the
> ROOT.xml file as:
> <Context docBase="${catalina.home}/server/webapps/LifeSim" />

That's a bit of a risky deployment, and it won't work in Tomcat versions beyond 5.5 (there
is no server directory in newer versions).  You should rename the LifeSim directory (or .war
file) to ROOT, and put it under the <Host>'s appBase directory (usually ${catalina.home}/webapps).
 Alternatively, remove any existing ROOT directory or .war file from the <Host> appBase
directory, and place the LifeSim directory outside of Tomcat's directory structure, changing
the ROOT.xml docBase attribute appropriately.

> src="${request.contextPath}/js/default.js"></script>

After fixing the webapp config, try just removing the ${request.contextPath} from the above,
leaving the leading slash.

> I've tried supplying a "path" in the Context specification

That's not allowed unless the <Context> element is in server.xml, which is strongly
discouraged.

 - Chuck