tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Question about SSL
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 21:21:48 GMT
Leo Donahue - PLANDEVX wrote:
> https://localhost:8443
>
> Using IE6, I get a message saying you are about to view a page over a secure connection,
but the page never loads.  No errors in the logs.  The ROOT webapp is still there, no lock
icon in the browser.

> IE6 status bar just says: "Opening page https://localhost:8443/..."
>
> And eventually, IE6 responds with "The page cannot be displayed".

Maybe you should read this :
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/maggieshiels/2010/02/last_rites_for_microsofts_most.html
(and I totally agree with the author, that its demise will be feted by
developers worldwide)

More seriously : IE6 has (had ?) this feature called "friendly error
messages" which basically hides what the server is really saying, and
displays an internal and useless error page instead, always the same.
You can turn it off, somewhere in the preferences.

Better : there exists an IE add-on, called Fiddler2, which does about
the same as similar add-ons for Firefox like HttpFox e.g.
It allows you to /really/ see what the browser is sending, and what it
receives from the server.

Better yet : use Firefox with the HttpFox add-on.

And the ultimate, but not for the faint-hearted : you can use a program
like Wireshark to grab and memorise and see absolutely every TCP/IP
packet circulating on the wire, even the ones you never wanted to know
about.

All of that does not solve your problem, but at least it should give you
an idea of what is really going on.