tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Batch-processing of emailed log4j log messages
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 18:12:31 GMT
Pid wrote:
> On 24/02/2010 17:17, Mark H. Wood wrote:
>> An alternative approach:  you could pump the messages through a
>> mailing-list digest builder.  You may get 100 messages in five
>> minutes, but you only get interrupted once.
>>
>> Sorry, I've never run a digested list so I don't have a name handy.
>
> That's smart, like it.

Another similar but simpler way would be to have the application write
messages to a simple logfile, and then have a separate application (like
a shell script under cron), which runs at the frequency you want, pick
up the content of that file, mail it to you all at once, optionally
archive the logfile (cat >> somewhere.else), and reset the logfile
(truncate it to 0 size).