tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Christopher Schultz <>
Subject Re: [OT] Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 15:15:06 GMT

On 2/24/2010 10:00 AM, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: Carl []
>> Subject: RE: Tomcat dies suddenly
>> the core files on my systems were in several directories
> I wonder if the above is a clue to what's going on.  I've always seen
> core files written to the current directory of the dying process,
> never scattered around arbitrarily.  Tomcat's current directory
> should be $CATALINA_HOME/bin;

Mine never is, but I run using, which doesn't execute a 'cd'
anywhere. Maybe this happens when running as a Windows service or
something, but I don't see this behavior when running on *NIX.

> if one of the webapps is changing the
> current directory, could that be contributing to the failure by
> confusing other code or the JVM?  (Or is this just another of the
> many red herrings?)

I suppose that's possible. Carl, are the core files all from the same
run? If so, something is very very wrong. Otherwise, maybe the reason
why you couldn't find any traces of your crash was that your CWD was
changing from what you expected it to be to some random subdirectory.

- -chris
Version: GnuPG v1.4.10 (MingW32)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -

To unsubscribe, e-mail: