tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Multiple Tomcat servers, one war location
Date Wed, 24 Feb 2010 11:40:52 GMT
On 24/02/2010 11:31, James Law wrote:
> Hi
>
> My googlefoo seems to be lacking here as I'm unable to find any info on
> how I could set this up.
>
> In essence I have multiple machines in a cluster and ideally I'd like to
> have a central network share for war files to be kept. As it would save
> me copying an updated war file to each individual machine, and means I
> know they are all using the same war version.

WAR files served directly from network shares are usually a bad idea...

> Obviously keeping the exploded folder on the local machine.

... as you have realised. There is, unfortunately, no easy way to split
the WAR location and the DIR location.

> Can anyone give me assistance or maybe a better way of implementing
> this? Or even just point me to the place I need to be reading.
>
> All machines are running WinXP and Tomcat 6.0.24

I'd do something along the lines of the following:
- have the WARs in a shared location
- run a script every x minutes on each server that polls the share and
copies any updated WARs to the local appBase

You could extend this to remove deleted WARs etc but be sure to handle
the error case of the share being down correctly.

HTH,

Mark