tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Tue, 23 Feb 2010 13:46:52 GMT
Carl wrote:

> One more event that may or may not be related.
If it is related, then indeed the time for exorcism may be reached.

   I have not touched the
> original server (C)

(they all say that)

  except to roll new war's out (almost nightly...
> minor bug fixes.)  This morning, it started producing these messages
> every 10 seconds:
>
> Feb 23, 2010 5:50:01 AM org.apache.catalina.loader.WebappClassLoader
> modified
> INFO:     Additional JARs have been added
> Feb 23, 2010 5:50:01 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext reload
> INFO: Reloading this Context has started

Let's say that this is not directly related, and that you're just
afflicted with an incredibly bad karma these days.

If you have a Manager application running, this might indicate that
someone broke into it and is actually loading his own apps into your
server. Maybe changing the password of the Manager app would be a good
idea at this point, along with having a check if you really know all the
apps which are running.  Along also with a netstat check of the
connections which your Tomcat is making to the outside world.
Other than that, I'll widly hypothesize (..tise ? ..sise ?):
- that in order to realise that something has changed, Tomcat must
somewhere be keeping a list of current applications, along with
timestamps of some sort
- that if Tomcat were somehow unable to update that list of
apps/timestamps and kept always the old value, then it would always
think that your new apps are new, and keep on reloading them