tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Serving static files in a cluster
Date Sun, 21 Feb 2010 15:36:09 GMT
Hassan Schroeder wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 21, 2010 at 3:23 AM, imrank <imran077@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Can I use the approach of having all the files sitting on a single NFS file
>> server and have the different tomcat instances read/write the files to that
>> server's filesystem? I guess theres gonna be some cost in terms of network
>> latency...
>
> Not to mention creating a single point of failure.
>
> Alternatively, keep local copies on each server and use rsync to
> maintain consistent images.

Not to mention possible inconsistencies between the different copies..
;-)
Imagine you have 4 balanced Tomcats, each of which has its own file
repository, and each of which can potentially run the next upload
request or download request.  To/from where does the file get
uploaded/downladed ? (until all rsyncs have run).  And if the file is
there twice, but different, which one is correct ? (how would rsync know ?)

There are probably more than one sensible configuration possible.
Choosing the best one would really depend on details of the application.