tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Serving static files in a cluster
Date Sun, 21 Feb 2010 09:47:22 GMT
Imran Khan wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I am using tomcat 5.5.26 on Ubuntu, currently having a clustered
> configuration, but having the entire cluster on a single box. I have the
> tomcat instances sitting behind apache.
>
> Eventually I'd like to move to cluster on different physical boxes. Part of
> our application involves serving files that are saved on the local file
> system. These files are uploaded by users.
>
> My question is, what is the best way to save these files so that they can be
> served across the different physical boxes? Should I be mirroring the files
> across each physical box or is there a particular distributed file system I
> should be using for storing the files? I dont know if there is any other
> technique.

Since it seems that you have one single Apache httpd front-ending
multiple Tomcat instances, you could set the system up to have the
static files in one single location, and serve them up directly with Apache.
This single location could be on some particularly reliable network
fileserver and accessed through NFS or so.
All you need to do at the Apache level, is tuning your proxy rules or
mod_jk configuration, to make Apache "not proxy" to Tomcat the requests
for static pages.