tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: exclude specific IP address from HTTP auth
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 21:21:59 GMT
Marcus Better wrote:

> Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>>> I'm looking for the Tomcat 6 security configuration that would
>>> correspond to Apache httpd's "Satisfy Any".
>> Take a look at SecurityFilter to see if it will do what you want.
>
> Thanks, but it says it only supports form authentication, not HTTP Basic or
> Digest...

You still may want to dig a bit deeper, because in this case I believe
it is the doc which is outdated. I think I remember someone saying that
it does support Basic authentication (though not Digest).

Another idea : you could also have a look here :
http://www.tuckey.org/urlrewrite/

It may be possible, depending on the caller IP, to redirect the request
to another copy of your webapp which would/would not force
authentication in the way you want.
Click on "manual", and search in that page for "remote-addr".

And still otherwise, this may be one of these cases where using an
Apache httpd front-end to Tomcat is justified.
I am doing just that on several websites I run : Apache httpd does the
user authentication (using a variety of schemes, including the one you
are mentioning(*)), and passes the authenticated user-id to Tomcat via
the Apache-Tomcat connector.
See the "tomcatAuthentication" attribute of the <Connector> element in
Tomcat.

(*) Typically, an application is available on a server on the Internet.
  You want to allow in, without authentication, a group of users
whenever they connect from within their corporate network, which has one
or several well-defined IP addresses. But when these people connect from
outside their corporate network, you want them to login.