tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: [OT] Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Sat, 13 Feb 2010 22:55:17 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:
>> From: André Warnier [mailto:aw@ice-sa.com]
>> Subject: Re: [OT] Tomcat dies suddenly
>>
>> Since we must have by now exhausted all the normal  causes of such
>> errors, maybe we should recommend
>> a) a visual inspection of the systems, to see if there are any pinsize
>> holes, or paint flaking off or so
>> b) the installation of a surveilance camera, to check if the SegFaults
>> are synchronous with any visible phenomenon (sparks, Cerenkow
>> radiation, etc.)
>> c) moving the systems to the basement ?
>
> d) exorcism?

That makes me think about something, specially since Carl mentioned that
there are children involved.

Maybe we should also investigate if the SegFaults are simultaneous with
anyone specific entering the room where the servers are.  Like someone
bringing coffee or pizzas or so ? I swear that I have seen some
long-running applications mysteriously fail as soon as some specific
end-users approached a keyboard.  They did not have to even touch the
keyboard for this to happen.
There are programmers like that too, for that matter.

Surprise visits by big bosses are also among well-known triggering
factors, as are demos to new users.  But I think in this case we can
eliminate the first one, since the problem happens several times per
day.  After the first couple of visits, the surprise element would tend
to disappear.