tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat dies suddenly
Date Fri, 12 Feb 2010 21:09:35 GMT
Donn Aiken wrote:
   For each
> leaked connection, we had an open file descriptor that never went away,
> until the process went away.  If memory serves, we finally found it by
> looking at entries in /proc/{pid of jvm}/fd, doing a bunch of find . | wc
> and watching that over time.

As another flash, another utility that may be of help here is "lsof".
Just the list of options is scary and it takes an engineering degree to
handle, but the least it can do is show you which sockets, files and
such things are used by what.
As a command-line tool, it is easy to write a small shell script with a
loop calling lsof every 15 seconds e.g., dumping the result to a file
which you could examine when your Tomcat goes boom.