tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: JSESSIONID and impact on google
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 14:50:53 GMT
On 09/02/2010 14:31, Marian Simpetru wrote:

> Question is: Is there a way to configure tomcat to only use cookies (not
> append jsessionid to URL for cookie0less browsers). I've been told Jetty
> or resin is configurable in this aspect.

There will be in Tomcat 7 onwards. Prior to that, using jsessionid in
the URL was mandated by the spec.

Yes. See http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-6.0-doc/config/systemprops.html

> Maybe a better idea would be that someone from Apache Tomcat should push
> to google with some standards tomcat implement in this respect so that
> google change the algorithm and not punish with low ranking websites
> powered by tomcat.

I don't think this is Google's problem. If a site doesn't need sessions,
it shouldn't be using them. If the framework being used forces the use
of sessions then the framework needs fixing.

> Any other suggestion?

Don't use sessions.

Mark