tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mark Thomas <>
Subject Re: Parameters disappear from PUTs
Date Mon, 08 Feb 2010 09:58:08 GMT
On 07/02/2010 21:27, wrote:
>> I'll add an enhancement request to Tomcat 7. Because this is a grey area
>> other folks using Tomcat may be expecting the data in the request body
>> and changing that would break things for them. It will certainly have to
>> be optional. As to which should be the default (convert or not convert)
>> I'm still on the fence. Implementing this isn't going to be at the top
>> of my todo list (that is still the Servlet 3.0 work) but at least if it
>> is in Bugzilla it won't get forgotten about.
> Why optional? Why doesn't it just do both? Isn't it possible to parse the
> parameters (if they are recognized as such) and make them available via
> the same mechanism as POST parameters, but to also leave a copy in the
> message body for those who prefer to retrieve them there? It seems to me
> that that would require no changes to configuration (always a pain) and no
> breaking changes to the API. Am I missing something?

The current implementation for processing POST with Content type
application/x-www-form-urlencoded drains the request input stream when
the request body is read as part of the conversion to parameters. PUT
would do the same. Whilst it is possible to retain the request body,
that would require buffering and replaying the request body and would
add complexity.

> I really appreciate your professionalism and your thoughtful response to
> my email despite my obvious frustration. I am glad we were able to resolve
> the issue to the benefit of all, and I apologize for my earlier testiness.
> I should not have rushed to judgment before all the options were
> exhausted.

Thanks for saying that. It is appreciated.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message