tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Unix creates the catalina.out but on Windows it does not
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 15:17:06 GMT
Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

> The stdout/stderr files for Tomcat as a Windows service are in Tomcat's logs directory,
under the names stdout_yyyyMMdd.log and stderr_yyyyMMdd.log, respectively.

Thanks for provoiding that clarification, and sorry for my approximative
explanation.

These may be changed by installing the service with the appropriate
parameters.  See the procrun doc for details:
> http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html

Right.  That was another item which I did not really want to get into,
but since it is now out of the box..

Karthik,

what the above means is that what you see in tomcat/bin as respectively
tomcat6.exe and tomcat6w.exe, are in reality the programs prunsrv.exe
and prunmgr.exe, just renamed.
So what you find at
http://commons.apache.org/daemon/procrun.html
is the description of these programs.
To interpret that page in the context of Tomcat, just replace
"prunsrv" by "tomcat6.exe"
"prunmgr" by "tomcat6w.exe"

What is still not quite clear to me upon consulting that page, is how to
provide the following service parameters :

--LogPath 	Defines the path for logging
--LogPrefix 	Defines the service log filename
--StdOutput 	Redirected stdout filename
--StdError 	Redirected stderr filename

in such a ways to end up with stdout_yyyyMMdd.log and
stderr_yyyyMMdd.log respectively. (*)

neither in which tab/boix of the GUI these names/forms are specified.
But Chuck might tell us that too..

(*) or maybe even just "stdout.log", without the yyyMMdd part ?
Hope springs eternal.