tomcat-users mailing list archives

From André Warnier ...@ice-sa.com>
Subject Re: Still unable to get a heap dump from Tomcat running on Windows as a service
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 23:09:58 GMT
Laird Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 2, 2010 at 4:40 PM, Sateesh Narahari <sateesh.narahari@gmail.com
>> wrote:
>
>> The default user account 'System' has some weird permission state on
>> Windows, so try the admin user.
>

> OK; leery of running my Tomcat as the administrator, but am not up to speed
> on which Windows users would be better choices.  I naturally assumed that
> the local user selected by default was appropriate.

The "Local System" account is the "usual" local built-in account used to
run Services. It has quite extensive privileges on the local machine
(like the permission to run Services), but has no access to "Windows
network" resources.  That includes stuff like network "shares", network
printers etc..
It can however run programs that open TCP/IP sockets to/from anywhere.
Go figure.

The suggestion of Chuck to run Tomcat as an Administrator is, I believe,
just a temporary measure to verify if the fact that you are not getting
the logfiles you expect, would be due to a permission problem to some
local directory. It would be nice to eliminate that possible source of
trouble.

Later on, you can revert to LocalSystem, or to some other user, local or
domain-based.  Which one you choose is a matter of your in-house
policies, or which resources the apps running in Tomcat will need to
access later.
Just make sure that while you are running as Administrator, your Tomcat
does not inadvertently create some files to which later, when it runs as
another user again, it would not be able to write anymore.

While we are at it, the difference between the .exe version, and the
.zip version :

The .exe version is like a shortcut, for people used to Windows
installer programs and who just want to install and run Tomcat as a
Windows Service, with a gui program (tomcat?w.exe) to set the run
parameters in the Registry.  With that version, you cannot run Tomcat in
a command-line window for instance.

The .zip version is more similar to the way you install Tomcat under
Unix/Linux : you get a bunch of additional scripts and files in the
tomcat/bin directory, which allow you to run Tomcat in a command-line
window, which sometimes makes it easier to debug a problem.
It also contains scripts to install and configure Tomcat as a Windows
Service, but they are a bit more "command-line oriented" rather than
graphical.

The real pros tend to prefer the .zip.
;-)

It's the same Tomcat in both cases however.