tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Peter Smith" <>
Subject "Currency code not supported", gcc 4.1, and related issues
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 20:13:19 GMT
Hi all,

Having a bit of a nightmare here.

On a clean installation of CentOS 5.4 I installed Tomcat 5.5, Java 1.4.2
etc via yum. When I start up Tomcat (sites and code ported over from
another server running Tomcat 5.5 and Java 1.4.2), it gives me:

  java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: The currency code, £, is not supported.
   at java.util.Currency.getInstance(

I've found a little bit of information on this (but not a lot), one
suggestion being that it's an issue in gcc 4.1 (sounds plausible, as the
server which this code was moved from used gcc 3.4).

I tried removing the Tomcat rpms and using a binary distribution (5.5
again) from the Tomcat website. This fails to start up:

Caused by: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException:  not found in
parent=gnu.gcj.runtime.ExtensionClassLoader{urls=[], parent=null}}
   at gnu.gcj.runtime.SystemClassLoader.findClass(
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(
   at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClass(

Having not got anywhere with trying to solve either of these, all I can
think of is to compile Tomcat from source using gcc 3.4, which I have now
installed alongside 4.1. I'm not convinced this will solve my problems

Does anyone have any pointers as to either of these errors please? I
notice in the second that it's "*blank space* not found" rather than
"*something* not found"

Peter Smith

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: