tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Laird Nelson <ljnel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Getting a heap dump on OOME from Tomcat-as-a-service on Windows?
Date Mon, 01 Feb 2010 22:23:01 GMT
On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:35 PM, Laird Nelson <ljnelson@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 1, 2010 at 1:32 PM, Christopher Schultz <
> chris@christopherschultz.net> wrote:
>
>> Have you tried the -XX:HeapDumpPath option as well?
>>

> Yes, with no results.
>

>> I suspect that your service doesn't have privileges to write to the cwd
>> of the java process, so it doesn't write to the file. I don't know much
>> about windows privs, but I suspect that writing to %TEMP% will work,
>> though I have no idea where %TEMP% points for service runners.
>>

> Duh; why didn't I think of that?  Thanks for pointing that out.  I'll try
> it.

Gave Everyone full control of the C:\crap directory.  Configured Tomcat
through the service monitor to also append -XX:HeapDumpPath=C:\crap to the
list of Java options.  Started and stopped the service.  Ran the build.
Heap dumped, but no file was produced.  Searched the entire computer for
.hprof files; no results.

Anything else before giving up?

Best,
Laird