tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Bertalan Kis <Bertalan....@razorfish.com>
Subject NullPointerException in MimeHeaders
Date Tue, 02 Feb 2010 12:25:23 GMT
Hi,

At my company we can see NullPointerExceptions in the catalina.out files (see the attachments).
We use Tomcat 6.0.14 on our 4 servers to handle web service calls from another tier of the
application. The errors occur when the soap call was processed and ready to send the prepared
response back to the clients. The errors force the web services client framework to resend
the same soap request to the Tomcats when they are processed again. Some of our web services
treat this as a business logic failure.

We can't reproduce the issue on our test and development environments, it is appearing only
on the production environment. The errors are seen usually 1-2 servers. When we restart the
tomcats the errors can disappear from a server, but it may appear on another. The first errors
were appeared after a restart of the platform, there were no new application deployed or configuration
change made. Before the errors the same version of the application was running more than one
and half month without problem. Different versions of the application was running fine for
more than a half year.

Tomcat developers gave me a hint to try the org.apache.catalina.connector.RECYCLE_FACADES=true
system property to avoid reuse of request and response objects, but it was not working.

We have no idea what can cause this. Can the clients cause the error?
I hope someone can help me find a solution for this issue.

Bertalan Kis