tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Alexander Hartner <a...@j2anywhere.com>
Subject Re: Active DataSource Connection count never decreasing with PostgreSQL
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 20:17:06 GMT
This is a little off topic, but I tried your suggestions. However there doesn't seem to be
an option to set the root application without renaming the WAR to ROOT.war, or is there.

I tried your suggestions as well as the suggestions from here:
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox//tomcat-users/200902.mbox/%3C499FE497.2000506@ice-sa.com%3E

Besides the connection problems my configuration worked really well and allowed me to configure
all I needed in one file outside the WAR, as well as set the application accessible on the
root (/) path. I see that using a separate file has it's merits in some cases, however right
now I can't get the application running on the / path without renaming it. Don't really want
to rename it as this only seems to work on Tomcat.

Ideally I would like to set the deployment path to / in META-INF/context.xml but configure
the database connection outside the WAR to allow me to change between different database.

Any other suggestion on my Connection issue. I set the maxActive to 200 and after a day ended
up with 21 in numActive state. So by increasing my upper limit I can increase the time between
restarts. However this is really just a hack until I figure this out.

Thanks for all your suggestions.

Regards
Alex

On 3 Feb 2010, at 00:15, Caldarale, Charles R wrote:

>> From: Alexander Hartner [mailto:alex@j2anywhere.com]
>> Subject: Re: Active DataSource Connection count never decreasing with
>> PostgreSQL
>>
>>> Put this into either META-INF/context.xml within your WAR/webapp
>>> directory, or into CATALINA_BASE/Catalina/[hostname]/ROOT.xml
>>>
>>> Remove the "path" and "docBase" attributes when you move the
>>> <Context> element.
>>
>> I really like it that way as it allows me to configure what I need to
>> in one central place without having to touch or expand the WAR file.
>
> And it breaks things.  You are now getting double deployment, once under the name AddressBookServer
and once again as ROOT.  Do it the right way, by renaming your .war file to ROOT.war, and
placing the <Context> element in conf/Catalina/[host]/ROOT.xml - that also avoids having
to change the contents of the .war file.  (Note that Chris' suggesting was missing part of
the path.)  As Chris said, when you do that, remove the path and docBase attributes.

>> This also works great for me. My database folder is relative the the
>> startup script.
>
> That's really asking for trouble.  A parser has complete freedom to ignore any .. entry
in a URL, so if it happens to be working now, you're extremely lucky, and there's no guarantee
it will work tomorrow.  The URL is *not* relative to any current directory, since it doesn't
target the file system per se.